Example of Inquiry: I want my child to receive education in Japan. Can the guardian obtain a status of residence as well?

I would like to introduce to you one of the inquiries the YOKOHAMA Foreign Residents Information Center received.

I would like my elementary school child to receive an education in Japan, and for this purpose, I wish to accompany my child to study in Japan. Can I also obtain resident status? (inquiry from Mongolia)

Recently, an increasing number of parents have shown a desire to send their children abroad from an early age and raise them in a global environment.
Since 2015, Japan allows students to study at elementary and junior high schools in Japan if they obtain the “Student” status of residence, but this status is granted only to the individual studying in Japan.
There is no special status of residence given to parents who send their children to study in Japan, so they cannot come and live in Japan with their children. If you have a relative already living in Japan, it would be a good idea to have that person become the “guardian” of the child.
When applying for the “Student” status of residence, you will need to submit the guardian’s income certificate and other documents. It is also required for the child who will study in Japan to have at least basic proficiency in everyday Japanese conversation.
Be aware that obtaining the “Student” status is very difficult.

The YOKOHAMA Foreign Resident Information Center responds to inquiries from foreign residents in 12 languages. Please feel free to contact us. 
Tel: 045-222-1209
For more information, please see the website.