YOKOHAMA Foreign Residents Information Center Example of Inquiry: “About Children’s Learning at School”


I have a son who is in 2nd grade and has been moved to a class for students with special needs since 2nd grade to study math and Japanese, but he takes other subjects in the regular class. However, when I ask my son about it, he says he is not studying anything.
I am very worried because I don’t know what is going on. I have a meeting with a teacher at school the day after tomorrow, so could you please ask the school how my child is doing before that? (Consultation in Spanish)


You are worried because you are not sure if your son is taking his classes properly at elementary school.
Did you know that Yokohama City has a volunteer interpreter dispatch system? Volunteer interpreters are dispatched to city hall, ward offices, municipal schools, etc., to support foreign residents who have difficulty in speaking Japanese. If you need an interpreter for a meeting with your son’s teachers, please ask your school to apply to the Yokohama Association for International Communications and Exchanges (YOKE) or the nearest International Lounge as the application for this service must be done by the school.
Also, if you have any questions about your daily life, please call the YOKOHAMA Foreign Residents Information Center (YOKE) at 045-222-1209. Consultations are available in multiple languages.

For more information about the YOKOHAMA Foreign Residents Information, please see the site below.

YOKOHAMA Foreign Residents Information Website